The present Klerksdorp Hospital cornerstone was laid on the 22 nd of April 1896. Numerous additions have since been made to the structure. Tshepong Hospital was built and opened with 600 beds in 1978. In 1999 the two hospitals were transformed to a fully departmentalized Hospital complex. The K/T renders level 1,2 and 3 services to the Matlosana Sub- District, Dr. Kenneth Kaunda District and to the whole of the North West Province and is designated as a provincial tertiary Hospital.