The unit is about ensuring safe, quality and cost- effective pharmaceutical services on ordering, issuing, storing and disposal of medication. Give drug related information through dispensing, local radios and visit schools and churches. There are 2 main pharmacies and 3 satellite pharmacies (MDR/XDR, Wellness and adolescent, Oncology) rendering the pharmaceutical care services.The pharmacies issue/dispense medication to the patients as either in or out-patients.
-Form part of the clinical support team/are part of the healthcare professionals.
-Do the preparation of chemotherapy at our oncology unit, distribution of medication to the wards.
-Do repacking of medication.
-Do renal home deliveries.
-We also assist in staff development and training of pharmacist Assistant
-Partnered with University of Potchefstroom to train pharmacy students.
Klerksdorp pharmacy has been operating since 1896 and Tshepong pharmacy 1978. The pharmacies are found in the hospital yard following pharmacy signage boards. Priority is given to the disabled, prisoners, children under 6 years and elderly above 65years of age.
Steps followed to access the services are:
- Patients receive their files at admissions.
- Patients are then seen at different clinics.
- If a prescription is written by the doctor in the patients hospital file, the patients are then sent to the pharmacy to collect medication.
- At the pharmacy we evaluate the prescription for acute and chronic prescriptions.
- Prescriptions are dispensed as prescribed.
- For Chronic prescriptions, the patient also receives a return date for the following month.
- Every time a patient comes to the pharmacy to collect his/her medication they must produce their blue hospital card/appointment card or identity document with form or hospital file.
- In-patients files are sent down to the pharmacy via the ward to collect medication prescribed by the doctor in the ward.
- The pharmacist is put on standby to assist with emergency service afterhours.
- The pharmacies order medication from the central Depot and distribute them to the wards on scheduled days.
The unit Comprises of skilled and competent pharmacist and pharmacist assistants.it has27 Pharmacist and 15 Pharmacist assistants working actively with Health care professionals and management Team work, Caring attitude, Motivated staff, New developments on health standards in order to ensure uni success.