Head of Department
Medical Officers: 4
What is Neuro Surgery?
- Neuro Surgery its unit that admit patients with brain and spinal cord injuries, it caters for patients for patients from entire North West Province
What are its specialised services (what does the unit offer)?
- Operative management to Neurological brain & Spine pathology
- Conservative management to severe head injuries
- Operative management to paediatric neuro surgical cases
- Assists other department in managing less severe cases
How long has the unit been active?
- From December 2012 to date
How does one get access to the unit
- Severe head injury patients are admitted straight from casualty to the ward after discussing with Neuro surgeon on call
- Some patients are referred from District officers after communicating with Neuro surgeons via NSOPD, or Private referral.
Could you please explain the steps followed to access the services?
- First consult with the Neuro Surgeon on call and present the patient with CT brain films and reports
- Depending on the patient condition, if it’s an emergency the patient is admitted in the ward managed
- If the patients are stable they are referred to NSOPD and managed accordingly
What type diagnosis do you admit at your unit?
- Brain Tumours
- Acute & Chronic Subdural Haemorrhage &Haemotomas
- Subarachnoid Haemorrhages
- Brain abscess
- Hydro Cephalus
- AVM (Arterial Venous Malformation)
- Extradural Haemorrhages
- Spinal Injuries
Are there any competent skilled nurses or doctors working specially for the unit?
- Yes: Neuro Surgery Consultant & Neuro Surgery Specialist
How many are they and what do they specialise with?
- 2 Doctors
- Tharun Krishna – General Neurosurgery
- Spinal surgery
- Functional Neurosurgery
- Neuro endoscopy
- Antony Thomas – General Neurosurgery
What machines do you use at the unit?
- Defibrillator for resuscitation X1
- Blood Pressure monitor X1
- ECG machine X1
- HB meter X1
- MRI, ST Scan, Radiology machines etc.
- Spinal Beds
How effective are the machines in assisting with speedy recovery of the patients?
- Blood Pressure monitor all the patients
- Defibrillator is working effectively
- ECG machine help us to ECG timeously
How many survivors has the unit produced since it has been active?
- More than 3000 survived patients
What makes the staff in the unit win (succeed)?
- Dedication & team work, and skilled health workers
What challenges do you encounter with patients and your facilities?
- HR structure deficiency
- No enough advanced ICT equipment used for patient care
How do you deal with and overcome those challenges?
- Utilise Agency nurses
- Use mobile BP monitoring that we have in the unit
- For ventilation we send patient s to ICU & W5
- And utilise one high care room for isolation